Monday, December 23, 2013

Breakfast Pizza

While preparing for family to be in town for the holidays I had the original idea to make biscuits and gravy, a big hit with my family.  On the morning of the big breakfast I realized I forgot to get biscuits at the store.  I know this sounds terrible coming from someone with a food blog but I can not make biscuits, I mean I can make them but they do not come out the light and fluffy pillows of goodness we love.  One of my goals in life is to make the perfect biscuit recipe that works for me and I will be sure to share. Back to the pizza, I realized I didn't have biscuits but I did have a puff pastry from the day before that needed to be used.  I also had cream cheese....so I came up with this recipe, I will admit it isn't the healthiest breakfasts but it filled everyone up and I didn't have to run to the store. My husband, the one that is not very adventurous with food looked at it and said, "All things I like, looks good."
I share with you a quick and easy breakfast to share with family or friends.


Breakfast Pizza
Emmie Loveless

Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS
1 puff pastry
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup salsa
1 lb. of medium spiced pork sausage
1/2 cup grated pepperjack cheese
1 tablespoon butter
5 eggs
1/4 cup half and half
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Preheat over to 400 degrees.

In a medium skillet cook the sausage over medium high heat until cooked through and brown. In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese and salsa. Unfold puff pastry and gently roll out onto a lightly floured surface. Place the puff pastry on a baking sheet. Using a fork, create a 1/2" border all the way around the puff pastry and then prick the middle of the puff pastry several times. (the border will allow the sides to puff up around your breakfast pizza) Spread cream cheese mixture throughout middle of the puff pastry being careful to stay within the border. Sprinkle the sausage on top of the cream cheese and then finish with the pepperjack cheese.
Bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
While the pizza is baking whisk the eggs, half and half, salt and pepper together. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter to melt and then the egg mixture. Cook without touching for 3-4 minutes or until it just starts to cook the eggs. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook the eggs for 3-4 minutes until they are cooked through, folding the mixture over itself every 1-2 minutes. Using your spatula break up the eggs into small bite sized pieces. 

When the pizza is done, remove from oven and place the eggs on top. Cut into nine squares. 

Enjoy food, family and everything else that makes you happy

No comments:

Post a Comment