Monday, January 13, 2014

On a Budget...With a Baby in Diapers?? Cloth Diapers get an A+

I think most moms and dads would agree that one of the hardest things about being a parent is making sure you are providing all the things your children need while still staying on a reasonable budget. It's hard.
We now have a four month old baby and one of the most expensive things in the shopping cart is diapers. I knew it was coming but I didn't know how to budget because it's not something you can skimp on and decide to wait until next month to buy. I was a little nervous about the expenses but became even more nervous when my mother-in-law suggested that we try cloth diapers. Cloth diapers? Ugh, I pictured myself pricking our tiny baby boy with these big pins, having to clean up messes one could only imagine coming out of a human so small, and the uncomfortable plastic underwear style liners. I understood they would probably save us money and I like to recycle, re-use, eat leftovers, buy local and fresh but the thought of cloth diapers was outside my tree hugging comfort bubble. My mother-in-law is not a pushy person so after many small hints and little conversations about cloth diapers I decided to give it a try.

Verdict......

I love using cloth diapers!!! Maybe love is a strong word but I am certainly a supporter. Sure, there are yucky times and it isn't quite as easy as throwing a dirty diaper into the diaper pale but it has saved us money, I feel good about the waste we are keeping out of landfills and they are totally cute!
Here are a couple articles to check out on the impact disposable diapers have on the environment:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/149890-environmental-impact-of-disposable-diapers/
http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php

Before discounting the idea give them a try and use these tips to hopefully make your experience a little more enjoyable:

1. Velcro straps work best.  The two styles that I have seen are either snap or velcro.   We definitely like the velcro better.  Velcro is tricky because you have to make sure you attach it to itself before washing so everything isn't stuck together and ruined from sticking to the velcro straps after coming out of the wash. Velcro is easier to adjust as he grows and it is easier to get on our little guy before he decides to let out a little surprise shower. I would suggest trying both to see which one you like best.

2. Get enough for two-three days. I have found that if we have enough for two days I am able to wash them in time so that we don't run out.

3. Get powder Oxy-Clean detergent.  Many of the diaper sites will recommend a specific cleaner for the diapers to protect the diaper and get everything clean. This is typically pretty expensive. I have found Oxy-Clean works wonders so far.  My diapers seem to be holding up and they come out clean sans stains.

4. Use the flushable liners.  They seem really flimsy and useless but they make it so easy to remove the majority of unwanted soil before putting the diaper into the wash.  Otherwise, I would recommend somehow rinsing the diaper. I have heard of people installing a little hose type of contraption over the toilet so they can rinse the diapers before washing them....I like the flushable liners. You decide what works for you.

5. Have a system set up at your changing table. Since you will be washing the diaper and not throwing it into a diaper pale you need to have a method for keeping clean and dirty items separated. I have one basket with all of the clean diapers and diaper ointment. Next to that I have the wipes and a stack of clean liners. Then on the other side of the changing station I have a plastic pad where I set the dirty diapers, dirty wipes and dirty liners.  In the evening I take the dirty pile including the plastic pad to the washer.  I have a small trash can lined with a grocery bag on top of my washer.  I take all of the disposable items off the diaper and throw them into the trash can. I take the cloth liner out of the diaper and then throw them both into the washer. Make sure you are removing the liner from the diaper, I can't imagine it would come clean if you didn't.

6. I wasn't sure if our babysitter would be okay using them so I had a system already set up for her.  I put the clean diapers with flushable liners already in them in one grocery re-usable bag.  I also take her another empty grocery re-usable bag.  I let her put the dirty diapers, dirty wipes and dirty liners into the empty bag and at the end of the day I take the whole thing and go through the same system as I do my diapers at home. I throw the bag in with the wash to make sure it is clean before sending it back to the babysitter. Also, to make her a little more comfortable I send a stack of disposable diapers just in case of emergency. She uses the washable diapers every day and the system seems to be working for both of us.

Finally, to make it easier in the middle of the night, before bed I take the diapers and get them ready with liners and everything so in the middle of the night I am not fumbling around trying to put a diaper together.

With my calculations:
Over 18 months, and this is an estimate using mid grade disposable diapers in the jumbo packs, we could spend up to $1950 on diapers putting over 5300 into the landfills.  If we buy 24 washable diapers it will cost around $550. Kid tested, husband approved.

Pretty fashionable if you ask me....


Embrace food, family and everything else that makes you happy

1 comment:

  1. This is great. Cloth diapers really are easy to use and so much better for the environment!

    ReplyDelete