Monday, January 20, 2014

Delicious Lentils with Ham

As my husband and I enjoyed our lentil soup for dinner tonight I made the comment that this soup might be my favorite soup out of our collection of soups from this winter.  I should probably share the stockpile of soup we have in our freezer right now:
Chili
Lentil and Ham
Chicken Noodle
Chicken Tortilla
Gumbo
White Chicken Chili
Beef Stew
Black Bean
I think that is it but we have 2-3 quart sized bags of each stashed for quick meals. This has been the winter of soups for us.  It has been great because they provide us with a warm, hearty, pretty healthy dinners so that we can spend our evenings with the kiddos. We usually have our soup with a baguette or hot sandwiches.

Lentils. Honestly, I am not sure how or why I ended up buying them but one afternoon I was going through our pantry and saw them sitting on the shelf.  I picked them up, looked at them and then put them back for another couple weeks actually.  I didn't know what to do with them and didn't want to spend the time or money on additional ingredients because I just didn't know if we would like them. I had heard lentils are good for you which made me curios so I checked them out:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=52
http://www.livestrong.com/article/41517-lentil-nutrition-information/

Finally, I decided to give them a go.  I looked up numerous recipes for lentil soup and decided to go for it. Try this recipe and tell me lentils aren't awesome. Ham is one of our favorite foods so you will see quite a few of my soup recipes with ham.

Tip: Make this soup and then either let it sit in the fridge overnight or go ahead and freeze it in your portion sizes and reheat when you are ready to eat it.  The soup is so much better after it has be reheated.

Ham and Lentil Soup
Emmie Loveless

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves: 6

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 of a large onion diced
3 carrots peeled and diced
3 celery stalks diced
2 garlic cloves diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
14 oz diced tomatoes with juice
1 lb of lentils
32 oz chicken stock
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 cups of diced ham

Directions
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 more minutes. Add the tomatoes with juice, simmer until the juices reduce by half, stirring occasionally about 8-10 minutes. Add the lentils, broth, ham and thyme. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer on low until lentils are tender 30-45 minutes.


Store leftovers in quart sized plastic bags in the freezer.  To thaw, run hot water over the bag until you can get scissors in there to cut the bag open. Put the soup in a medium sauce pan over medium low heat until heated through. I usually add some more chicken stock or water when I reheat the soup.

Embrace food, family and everything else that makes you happy

1 comment:

  1. Yum. it sounds perfect for these cold winter days!

    ReplyDelete