Saturday, April 12, 2014

Meatless Mondays

Meatless Monday is something I have been hearing about a lot lately. I am not sure I agree with the entire concept but I do agree with trying to eat all healthy and if possible, local veggies one day a week. The part I am skeptical of is going meatless on Monday's for the environment and less trasportation of goods. Living in Kansas City we rely on many fruits and vegetables to be trasported to us throughout the cold months so even if I go meatless we are still consuming goods that had to be trasported to us.  During the summer months I can visit the local farmer's market to assemble our meal which I think is a great idea. Otherwise, Meatless Monday is a great concept to get families to get a meal full of nutritious ingredients.

Achieving a successful Meatless Monday:

Create a Plate of Art : colorful fruits and vegetables are packed full of nutrients.  Our four year old is actually very good about eating fruits and veggies but if you have little ones who gag just looking at them there are so many ways to incorporate them without being noticed. Pureed vegetables can be mixed into their favorite foods and they probably won't even notice.

Whole Grains : Meatless Monday and Whole Grain Heaven. Try dishes with quinoa, whole wheat pasta (I like making my own), whole grain tortillas and breads, chia, oats etc.  Sometimes starting a little at a time helps to create a good habit that will then be repeated.  Our family has had a hard time with quinoa, we have tried it a few different ways but just can't seem to find a way we like it but I make whole wheat pasta and we always have whole grain breads in our pantry.

Go to your favorite dishes and then evolve them into a meatless version.  Portabello mushrooms are a great substitute for meat because they are so hearty and "meaty". Veggies like squash and zucchini are great in pastas and lasagne. Beans are also a wholesome healthy substitute for meat, I have even heard of a black bean noodle recipe I will have to try.

Make it a familly effort. My favorite dinners are the ones where my daughter helps.  Our kitchen ends up a dissaster and she obviously can't do a lot but she loves to help. Many times she will refuse to eat something but after she helps make it she will try it and sometimes end up enjoying it.

Use leftovers throughout the week.  If you make your meatless dish on Monday, try it with your favorite meat added for a quick heat-up dinner on Wednesday.  Save time and money by recreating the dish, or if it was superb the first time just warm it up as it is. Chicken is very versatile so it is a great meat to incorporate into dishes.


Embrace food, family and everything else that makes you happy

No comments:

Post a Comment