Sunday, February 2, 2014

Cornbread Ham Sandwich - What can I do with leftover cornbread?

It's Superbowl weekend and I would venture to say that there are a good number of households who will be serving chili with cornbread.  I love cornbread.  I love all of the ways you can make it, with jalopenos, honey and butter, creamed corn, fresh corn...it's a very easy dish to modify to your taste and menu.

So, what happens when you have leftover cornbread?  At Thanksgiving I made cornbread stuffing with some leftover cornbread I froze.  This last time we had leftover cornbread I made ham and cheese sandwiches with it.  It was a delicious treat for lunch.  I took a piece of cornbread, cut it in half like you would bread.  I sliced some cheese and ham and put it all together in a sandwich on the griddle over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side. The cheese melted into the ham and the cornbread got a nice golden brown crust. Now, I can't wait for more leftover cornbread.


This last time I didn't use any oil or butter in my recipe. I substituted applesauce and made sure to add just a little heavy cream to ensure it stayed moist. 

Cornbread
Emmie Loveless

Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins

INGREDIENTS

1 1/4 cups of flour mix (half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour)
3/4 cup of cornmeal
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2/3 cup of milk
1/4 cup of sour cream, heavy cream or half and half
1/4 cup of applesauce
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tablespoon of coconut oil, vegetable oil or butter (to grease the pan)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Evenly coat the bottom and sides of the pan with coconut oil. Mix the remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

If you feel like indulging serve it with some honey butter.  I mix equal parts warm, melted butter and honey. 

Embrace food, family and everything else that makes you happy


1 comment: